Please note that we are not a medical expert and are just trying to be a source of good useful information to our community. If you are feeling ill please contact your physician.
Experts have advised that the best thing for our community during the current Coronavirus pandemic is to reduce crowded gatherings. Some of the events listed on our website may occur while others have been canceled. Please check with the hosting venue, and exercise caution when selecting outings.
Ultimately it is your decision if you choose to continue to go to public events and spaces.
We’ll be collecting local resource links here in one place, along with information from the CDC and the McHenry County Health Department so you can stay informed.
McHenry County Closures and Cancelations
We are starting to see notices for closures and cancelations due to coronavirus precautions. We are hoping to keep this list of places updated but as you know things are moving fast. If you know of an event or space that is closed, please comment below, links from the source are encouraged.
- Algonquin Recreation Department has suspended all recreation programs and events beginning March 18, including the closure of the Historic Village Hall.
- Algonquin Area Public Library is canceling all programs through March 31, at this time the library is still open.
- Barrington Area Library is closed.
- Crystal Lake Public Library all programs are canceled through April 5
- Crystal Lake Ice House has rescheduled the Yellowjackets tournament team tryouts and evaluations. Ice Show dress rehearsal was canceled and the show has been postponed.
- The Break – Crystal Lake Teen Center is closed through March 30.
- Crystal Lake Park District all programs are canceled and facilities are closed through March 29.
- Hillstriders Half Marathon (Cary) has been canceled.
- Cary Park District has canceled all recreation programs as well as the Cary Park District Preschool and Kraus Senior Center.
- Dance Party at the Dole (March 24) has been postponed until August 8.
- Crabtree Nature Center is closed and all programs canceled through April 1. The grounds and trails are still open.
- Fox River Grove Memorial Library has canceled all programs and community use of meeting rooms through at least March 31.
- Village of Fox Lake offices are closed to the public until March 27. All Parks and Recreation Programs are canceled.
- Fox Lake District Library will be closed March 18 – March 30.
- Fox River Grove the village hall will be closed to the public on March 16 for thirty days. All village sponsored group meetings are canceled.
- Gigi’s Playhouse McHenry has suspended all programs and tutoring sessions.
- Huntley Park District has canceled all programs and closing facilities through March 29.
- Huntley Area Public Library has suspended all programming and events through March 31, this includes all off-site programs and outside groups scheduled to use library rooms.
- Home Depot has canceled all workshops.
- The Village of Island Lake has suspended all over-the-counter services at the village hall.
- Johnsburg Public Library District is closed until further notice.
- Marengo Park District has suspended all programs and closed facilities through March 30.
- McHenry Public Library District is opened but they are not accepting book donations. Games have been removed and several events canceled, please see the website for a full list.
- The City of McHenry has postponed the ShamRocks the Fox event.
- McHenry Parks and Recreation Department is running programs. Spring Break camp will not take field trips. McHenry Instructional League Basketball playoffs are canceled, Men’s 3-on3 league is canceled, all open volleyball and basketball gyms are canceled, McHenry Marlins swim team banquet is postponed, Breakfast with the Bunny is canceled.
- McHenry County Conservation District has canceled the Festival of the Sugar Maples. The Lost Valley Visitor Center and the Prairiesview Education Center are closed to the public until further notice. Public programs have been canceled through April 5, trails and conservation areas are open.
- Nippersink Public Library District (Richmond) is closed through March 30.
- Raue Center for the Arts has canceled all performances until May 1.
- River East Public Library is closed until further notice.
- Sage YMCA childcare programming is canceled.
- Woodstock Opera House has canceled all public performances and gatherings through April 13. Matilda Performance will take place and be limited to 250 patrons.
- Woodstock Public Library is canceling all public programming through April 13, it will remain open but numbers will be watched so social distancing is possible.
- Woodstock Recreation Center is not allowing group sports or large gatherings in the gym through April 13. Fitness classes will run as scheduled.
McHenry County School Closures
On March 13 Governor Pritzker ordered the closing of all K-12 schools March 17 – 30. We will not be updating the below list further since this order supersedes everything else. We will update on March 30.
- Huntley Community School District 158 will utilize e-learning March 16-20
Coronavirus Information for Families
We want to make sure you are getting the best information and resources, no memes. Please use these sources for up-to-date information on what you should be doing to protect yourself and your family.
- McHenry County Health Department Coronavirus Page.
- Illinois Department of Public Health Coronavirus Disease Page
- CDC Coronavirus Disease Page – available in Spanish and Chinese
Family FAQ About COVID-19
We think that knowledge is power. Our friends at RocketCity Moms put together some frequently asked questions families might want to know with answers from the pros… not from some meme found on the Internet.
- What are the symptoms of the Coronavirus?
- How is it different from the flu?
- How does COVID-19 impact, pregnant women? Are they a higher risk if they contract the virus?
- Why are older adults more susceptible?
- How should families be reasonably preparing for a local outbreak?
- What’s the best way to disinfect your home?
- How can I explain Coronavirus to my kids in a way that isn’t scary?
- Coronavirus myths debunked
Cover your cough, wash your hands and be well friends!