This years Fourth of July Celebration won’t look the same as previous years, but that doesn’t mean you have to mope at home with a lone sparkler and some snap caps. There are plenty of ways to have celebrate this Fourth of July while maintaining social distance.
4th of July at Home in McHenry County
COVID-19 Statement: Experts have advised that the best thing for our community during the current Coronavirus pandemic is to reduce crowded gatherings. Please exercise caution when selecting outings. Ultimately it is your decision if you choose to go to public events and spaces. For the best and most up to date information on the outbreak locally, please visit the McHenry County Health Department COVID-19 status page.
This family guide to July Fourth in McHenry County brings all the activities and events for Independence Day in one place, as well as giving you ideas of ways to celebrate at home. Gather your sparklers and get dressed in your best Americana apparel and celebrate the red, white, and blue.
Fourth of July Fireworks in McHenry County
Fireworks at Richardson Adventure Farm, Spring Grove
Saturday, July 4, gates open at 6:00 p.m. Cost is $20 per car. No grills, you may bring food or purchase on-site.
Woodstock Fourth of July Fireworks
Saturday, July 4, Emricson Park
The fireworks will follow the same rules as drive-in movie theaters. Gates will open at 5:00 p.m. for firework parking. The fee is $10 per car, cash only.
4th of July Fireworks, McHenry
Saturday, July 4, starting at 9:30 p.m.
McHenry’s fireworks are being “shot” from two locations, near the Municipal Center and Fox Ridge Park. Residents are encouraged to watch from their homes, there are no gathering locations or park events planned with the display.
Fourth of July Parades in McHenry County
We may not be able to gather and march together but we can still have a parade!
- Decorate the kid’s bikes and have a neighborhood bike parade
- Have a flag hunt! You can use the idea from No Time for Flash Cards, or just go for a walk around the neighborhood and see how many you find!
The Marengo-Union Chamber will be hosting a 4th of July Glow Parade through Marengo and Union. Businesses and residents who wish to join in, simply decorate your vehicle with glow sticks, lights, or any type of lighted decorations. Watchers are encouraged to social distance themselves with glow sticks along the route. Special guests in the parade will be Captain Marvel and Captain America!
Cavalcade for Our Country is a volunteer organized boat parade through the Chain O’ Lakes. They will be making several stops (one on each Lake as well as the River), while supporting and stimulating our Small Businesses and Establishments on our Waterway. The parade starts on the Upper River at the Sunuggery 10:30 a.m. and will end at the Grass at Port of Blarney/Blarney Island.Back to Top
Fourth of July Crafts
Make decorations, fireworks without the spark, and more festive fun with these ideas.
- Have the kids paint a flag using painters tape
- Make Salt Paint Fireworks – no spark, no boom, all the fun
- ChambanaMoms has several easy Fourth of July Crafts that are also perfect for the backyard parade!
Find more craft ideas on our Pinterest Board.
Fourth of July Recipes
The best part of the celebration is the food! Even if it’s just you and your kids you are are sure to impress with these red, white, and blue recipes.
- Make Heather’s Red, White, and Blue Layered Drinks
- or use your fresh strawberries for some Strawberry Lemonade
- Go dye-free this year and make some Red, White, and Blue dye-free Ice cream, it’s easier than you think!
- Skip the box of pops and make your own natural firecracker pops
- Make Fruit more fun by turning them into kabobs and serving with Cheesecake Dip
- It’s not all about the sides, how about some perfect southern barbecue beef brisket.
- Skip the bottle and serve some of Heather’s homemade ranch dip and have everyone begging for more veggies.
Fourth of July Events in McHenry County
Marengo-Union Chamber 4th of July Trunk & Treats
Saturday, July 4 12-1:30 p.m., Municipal Parking Lot, Marengo
Businesses and residents are encouraged to decorate their vehicles and/or trunks and bring them out to the Municipal Parking Lot for residents to enjoy and for kids to collect treats. Reserve your spot online.
4th of July at the Boat House
Saturday, July 4, 12-4:00 p.m., The Boat House Chicago, 516 Knob Rd., Johnsburg
There will be entertainment for the kids w/ fun games, including: water balloon toss competitions periodically throughout the day, corn hole, giant tic-tac-toe, multiple raffle giveaways, and a GRAND PRIZE giveaway! Stop by our tent, which will be located near the water in front of the shop,
It’s what we’re used to but we can still make it great!
Happy Independence Day McHenry County!